Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully.
The term The Alliance of British Watch and Clock Makers Limited “we” / “our” / “us”) refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is 17-18 Great Pulteney Street, London, W1F 9NE. We are a limited company registered in England and Wales under company registration number 12463247. The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our website.
Who we are and how to contact us
The site is operated by The Alliance of British Watch and Clock Makers Limited “we” / “our” / “us”). We are a company registered in England and Wales under company registration number 12463247 and have our registered office at 17-18 Great Pulteney Street, London, W1F 9NE.
To contact us, email [email protected]
By using our site you accept these terms
Age limit for using our site
This website is not intended for children. If you are under 16, you may use our website only with consent from your parent or guardian.
There are other terms that may apply to you
- If you purchase memberships from our site, our Terms of Sale will apply to the sales of memberships.
We may make changes to these terms
We may amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time. These terms were most recently updated on 24th June 2020.
We may make changes to our site
We may update and change our site from time to time without notice to reflect changes to our products and services, our users’ needs and our business priorities.
We are under no obligation to update our site or its content.
We may suspend or withdraw our site
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our site for business and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
You must keep your account details safe
If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you know your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us by emailing [email protected]
How you may use material on our site
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may print off a copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
Do not rely on information on this site
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date.
We are not responsible for websites we link to
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
User-generated content is not approved by us
The site may include information and materials uploaded by other users of the site, including to bulletin boards and chat rooms. This information and these materials have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values.
If you wish to complain about content uploaded by other users, please contact our customer services team via the contact details above.
Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
Whether you are a consumer or a business user:
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any products, and/or the provisions of any services to you, which will be set out in our Terms of Sale.
If you are a business user:
- We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our site or any content on it
- We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- Use of, or inability to use, our site;
- Use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site;
- In particular, we will not be liable for loss of profits, sales, business or revenue;
- Business interruption;
- Loss of anticipated savings;
- Loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- Any indirect or consequential loss or damage
If you are a consumer user:
- Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use
- You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity
Acceptable use of our site
You may use our site only for lawful purposes.
You may not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam)
You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our site in contravention of these terms of website use
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
Uploading content to our site
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in these terms.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (Contribution). Our standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The standards apply to each part of any Contribution as well as to its whole. We will determine, in our discretion, whether a Contribution breaches these terms.
A Contribution must:
- Be accurate (where it states facts)
- Be genuinely held (where it states opinions)
- Comply with the law applicable in england and wales and in any country from which it is posted
A Contribution must not:
- Be defamatory of any person
- Be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory
- Bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate
- Promote sexually explicit material
- Promote violence
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person
- Be likely to deceive any person
- Breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence
- Promote any illegal activity
- Be in contempt of court
- Be threatening, abusive or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person
- Give the impression that the contribution emanates from us, if this is not the case
- Advocate, promote, incite any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse
- Advocate, promote, incite any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse
- Contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism
- Contain any advertising or promote any services or web links to other sites
You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us and other users of our site a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties. The rights you license to us are described in “Rights you are giving us to use material you upload” (below).
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We have the right to remove any posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
Rights you are giving us to use material you upload
When you upload or post content to our site, you grant us the following rights to use that content: a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, licence to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform such user-generated content in connection with the service provided by our site and across different media, including use relating to promoting the site or its services.
Rights you are giving us to use any suggestions, submissions or ideas
We welcome enquires and feedback on our products and services however whilst it is always appreciated, we reserve the right to decline any unsolicited suggestions or ideas. Notwithstanding this policy, any suggestions, submissions or ideas you provide us (collectively ‘submissions’) will be treated as non- proprietary and non- confidential.
As a consequence, by making a submission, you grant us a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, sell, assign, translate, assign, translate, create derivate works from, distribute, and display in any form, media or technology, whether known or hereafter developed, alone or as part of other works.
You also acknowledge that your submission may not be returned and it may be used, along with any ideas, concept or know-how contained therein, for any purpose including developing, manufacturing, distributing or marketing products.
We are not responsible for viruses and you must not introduce them
We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software.
You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the computer misuse act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
Rules about linking to our site
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out above.
If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact us by emailing [email protected]
Breach of this policy
When we consider that a breach of this these terms has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
Failure to comply with these terms may constitute a breach of these terms upon which you are permitted to use our site, and may result in our taking all or any of the following actions:
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Contribution uploaded by you to our site
- Issue of a warning to you
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach
- Further legal action against you
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law
We exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of these terms. The actions we may take are not limited to those described above, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
Which country’s laws apply to any disputes?
Our trade marks
The Alliance of British Watch and Clock Makers™ (word mark) and ™ are, amongst others, our trade marks.
You are not permitted to use these trademarks or any of our other trademarks without our approval, unless they are part of material you are using as permitted under How you may use material on our site.
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive is now UK law. The legislation aims to make producers pay for the collection, treatment and recovery of waste electrical equipment. The regulations also mean that suppliers of equipment like high street shops and internet retailers must allow consumers to return their waste equipment free of charge.
The amount of WEEE we throw away is increasing by around 5% each year, making it the fastest growing waste stream in the UK.
Much of the UK’s WEEE ends up in landfill, where the lead and other toxins it contains can cause soil and water contamination. This can have a harmful effect on natural habitat, wildlife and also human health.
Many electrical items that we throw away can be repaired or recycled. Recycling items helps to save our natural finite resources and also reduces the environmental and health risks associated with sending electrical goods to landfill.
Distributors of new Electric and Electronic Equipment (EEE) have a part to play in reducing the amount of WEEE going into landfill sites.
The Alliance of British Watch and Clock Makers Limited is obliged under these regulations to offer our customers free take-back of their WEEE on a like-for-like basis when they buy a new electrical or electronic product from us.
In our case this applies to watches containing a quartz movement which are fitted with a battery and watch winders (WEEE items).
For example, if a customer buys anything which we define as being a WEEE item (see above) we would accept their old item back, free of charge, on a like for like basis and prevent it going into a landfill site by disposing of it safely. Customers must return their WEEE item to us within 60 days of purchasing their new item. Return postage will be paid by us.
If any customer wishes to return their WEEE item, they should first contact [email protected] to obtain returns information. We will happily guide you through the process.
Under the WEEE Regulations, all new electrical goods should now be marked with the crossed-out wheeled bin symbol shown below:
Goods are marked with this symbol to show that they were produced after 13th August 2005, and should be disposed of separately from normal household waste so that they can be recycled.
Our terms of sale
You (the purchaser) are entitled to cancel your order within 14 days and return the goods within a further 14 days for a full refund, including our delivery costs. You can do this by contacting us by email or telephone and quoting the date of purchase and transaction number supplied to you and we will send you a returns form. You are responsible for the cost and risk of loss or damage when returning the goods, so you should take out enough postal insurance to cover their value. This cancellation policy does not affect your rights when we are at fault – for example, if goods are faulty or inaccurately described.
To contact us, email [email protected].
No refund shall be made if your purchase signs of use or copying.
Any goods returned should be in saleable condition, undamaged and in their original unopened packaging accompanied by the completed returns form.
Your refund will be paid within 30 days.
These terms apply to your order. We may change our terms and conditions at any time, so please do not assume that the same terms will apply in the future.
None of these terms affect your legal rights under English law and these are not diminished in any way. If any term is held to be invalid under any applicable English statute or rule of law, that term is automatically omitted from the terms to the minimum extent necessary to comply with the law and without affecting the validity or enforceability of the remainder.
These conditions shall at all times be construed under and be subject to English law.
Thank you for supporting the Alliance of British Watch and Clock Makers. We are a not-for-profit organisation registered in the UK as a company limited by guarantee with No: 12463247.
Your membership dues support our aims to promote and support British Watch and Clock Making.